Information from VicRoads


The Victorian Club Permit Scheme (CPS) came into operation on 1st February 2011 and was subsequently reviewed with changes coming into effect from 31st January 2015.  The scheme allows vehicles over 25 years old to be driven on Victorian roads and in all other states and territories (except WA - currently under review) for a period of 90 or 45 days per annum with each day's use requiring an entry in the Club Permit logbook supplied by VicRoads.

Alignment of VicRoads club permit forms with the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2021

VicRoads has updated several Club Permit forms to improve the vehicle data collected, and to ensure that the correct permit types and club permit plates are issued to eligible vehicles.

What do Club Permit Scheme clubs and members need to do?

The updated forms are now available on the VicRoads website for the club and its members to use:

Members and Club Officials should use these current forms rather than any previous versions.

Why have these changes been made?

These forms now have an updated layout and align with the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2021.

Club Permit application

There are only four categories of Club Permit – Veteran, Vintage, Classic and Historic, and Street Rod.
Each category now has a sub-category – either Original, Modified or Replica.
The documents required for each sub-category are listed at the bottom of the form.

Vehicle eligibility and standards declaration for Club Permit vehicles

Now includes a record of the VASS approval certificate and vehicle import details, where applicable.

Club permit reassignment and Club permit agreement

Re-ordering of the data fields

Club Permit logbook

The Club Permit logbook has been updated to align with regulation changes.

New requirement - Classic and collectable vehicles imported from 1 July 2021 will be issued a V.I.N. that must be stamped on the vehicle.

With the introduction of the Commonwealth Road Vehicle Standards Act 2018 and Road Vehicle Standards Rules 2019, vehicles imported from 1 July 2021 that do not already have a 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) stamped into the vehicle will be issued a VIN, which has to be stamped on the vehicle.

Club members who are considering importing these vehicles should familiarise themselves with the new requirements as explained below.

Most classic and collectable vehicles are issued a chassis number by the vehicle manufacturer.  Under the Commonwealth Road Vehicle Standards Act 2018 and Road Vehicle Standards Rules 2019, these types of vehicles are now imported under the concessional entry pathway and recorded on the Register of Approved Vehicles (RAV).

As these vehicles do not have a 17-character VIN that meets the ISO standards, the Commonwealth Department of Transport Infrastructure Regional Development and Communications (DITRDC) will issue a VIN with the condition that the VIN must be stamped on the vehicle.  It is an offence under the  Commonwealth legislation if this condition is not complied with. A plate attached to the vehicle displaying the VIN is not acceptable.

The VIN provided by the Commonwealth via the RAV process is the identifier by which the vehicle must be known throughout Australia for registration and club permit purposes and is how the vehicle’s origin will be determined for the purpose of registration/CPS permit eligibility.

Further information

To find out more about the Club Permit Scheme obligations, search for the term ‘Club Permit Scheme’ at
To find out more about the RVS legislation please visit


Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2021

Road Safety Act 1986

Website References


Association of Motoring Clubs (AOMC)