Application Process

To apply for a Club Permit please follow the steps below.

Note that our Club Permit Officers are all volunteers, so please treat them with the same courtesy that you would like returned to you.

By applying for a club permit under this scheme, members agree to be bound by the policy as stated above, VicRoads requirements, and any revisions that are issued from time to time either by VicRoads or the club. The deed between VicRoads and the Jaguar Car Club of Victoria is a legally binding agreement and the Club takes its obligations under the CPS very seriously.

Step 1 – Join the club

Please allow a reasonable time frame for your application to be processed from the time that you have joined the Club.

Step 2 – Confirm you have an eligible vehicle

Please note that the Jaguar Car Club of Victoria CPS is open only to passenger cars and specifically excludes motorcycles, motor homes, caravans and historic commercial vehicles.

A club permit can be issued to the following vehicles in the following categories.

  • Veteran vehicles – manufactured before 1 January 1919;
  • Vintage vehicles – manufactured after 31 December 1918 and before 1 January 1931;
  • Classic and Historic vehicles - manufactured after 31 December 1930 but more than 25 years before the date of the application for a club permit;

These categories can include left hand drive vehicles and modified vehicles such as street rods. Replicas of vehicles in the categories above may also be issued with a club permit.

A club permit cannot be issued to a vehicle that:

  • is recorded on the Victorian or an interstate Written-off Vehicles Register as a statutory write-off;
  • has a sheriff's office or hoon sanction;
  • is recorded as stolen;
  • has an existing full registration.

Step 3 – Obtain the Roadworthy Certificate and other certificates as required

All Club Permit vehicles manufactured after 1 January 1949 require a Certificate of Roadworthiness from a licensed vehicle tester. If your vehicle is manufactured pre-1949, please contact the club permit officer noted on the clubs website or in CAT-A-LOG.

You will need to get a Vehicles Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS) approval certificate if the vehicle:

  • is modified outside what is permitted in the Vehicle Standards or the guidelines as specified on the VicRoads website;
  • was not originally manufactured in Australia, does not have any previous Australian registration history and was manufactured after 31 December 1968 (30 June 1975 for motorcycles).

Step 4 – Complete the forms and get your application approved by the club

Once you have the certificates, you will need to complete the following forms and get them approved by your club:

  • The Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration for Club Permit Vehicles form;
  • Club Permit Application form.

Both forms are available on the VicRoads website at the following link Get a club permit.  Club Permit Officers will not sign incomplete forms.

For post 31 December 1948 vehicle, the Club Safety Officer/Scrutineer can only sign this form if the Certificate of Roadworthiness (RWC) is current and valid (within 30 days of its issue). If the RWC is more than 30 days old, then a new RWC is required.

You also need to provide photographs of your vehicle as outlined in the club's agreement with VicRoads. These include images of the: 

  • front,
  • driver's side,
  • rear,
  • driving position (side-on with the driver’s door open),
  • any identifiers such as chassis number, VIN and engine number (compliance plate).

The club permit application must be signed and dated and received within 30 days of the declaration date on the Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration for Club Permit Vehicles form, or the club permit application will be rejected by VicRoads, and a new club permit application will be required.

Step 5 – Lodge your documents with Vic Roads

Take your completed documents to a VicRoads Customer Service Centre. At the Customer Service Centre, your documents and evidence of identity will be checked and your payment taken and, if all is in order, your Club Permit, number plates and logbook will be issued to you. Once your application has been accepted and approved, you will need to:

  • attach the club permit sticker to the inside cover of your logbook;
  • attach the windscreen label to the vehicle to assist in identifying vehicles operating with a current Club Permit;
  • affix the allocated Club Permit number plates to your vehicle;
  • follow the conditions of use for club permit vehicles.

You must advise the Club Permit Officer of the Club Permit plate number issued to your vehicle within 7 days of receiving your Club Permit number plates.


Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2021

Road Safety Act 1986

Website References


Association of Motoring Clubs (AOMC)